Tuesday, July 7, 2009

supekarts ‘08 – association kart

From rubbish to something decent.
by Pierre Martins

SDSC_2466 I have a bit of a reputation for building nice Superkarts, so in the beginning of 2208 I was asked to fix up a demo kart for the local 250 Supekart Association. They wanted something not too fast and safe to give people joy rides in. Journalists and people interested in joining the sport. I took the job on condition that I get to race it for the first two meets after completion, to make sure it’s safe and all…

This is the kart I came up with. First time out I started from the back of the grid in the rain and pulled off a third place. I wonder who was more surprised, me, or the rest of the field? Man I love racing in the wet. It takes horse power out of the equation. Ten percent car and ninety percent driver. Short-shift everywhere, watch out for puddles and rivers and be ready to catch slides all the time. Good fun.

Click on the images below to enlarge and use your browser’s ‘back’ button to return.

Cheers,
Pierre.

HPIM1443
HPIM1453b

pic1

044

041

042

No comments: